Friday 27 July 2018

Mother


Mother,
I am in love with you.
You gave me life,
Nursed and held me in your bosom
And comforted me in times of distress.
I  am eternally grateful for you,
And your unending love.

Mother,
How I long to make you happy,
To wipe away all your pain,
And make you smile.
Life has been difficult to you.
You've had to take a back seat
When it really should be you driving
You have endured much suffering,
Simply because of your womanhood.
I feel your strength in my being,
It encourages me to face the world.

Mother,
I'm a man today.
I'm ashamed of what I've become.
I'm no longer the innocent son you held.
I'm now part of the group that tells you you're not good enough,
Part of the lot that wants you to be subservient.
I smile with those who have no respect for you,
I eat with those who murder you -
All for acceptance into the fragile club called manhood,
All for ego and power.

Mother,
I honour you.
I am a husband today,
And I'm learning to do better.
I will forever remain your son,
And stand with you to face life
And it's continued barrage of your womanhood.
I am comforted in this lonely place I find myself in,
knowing very well that you've stood tall and proud in the midst of great adversity.

Mother,
I am blessed to be your son.

No comments:

Post a Comment